1. Biological needs ( oxygen, food, water, warmth ).
2. Safety needs (no present threats to safety); no pain
3. Love, affection, and 'belongingness' needs.
4. Esteem needs ( self respect, and need for respect from others; being valued for what you can do or bring to your community of family - and, above all, to be valued for who you are.
5. Self - actualization needs (our need to be and do what which we feel born to do - ie his or her calling). If such needs are unmet, restlessness and anxiety result. To meet this need we might teach ourselves and others:
- to be aware of the inner self and to understand our inner nature,
- to transcend cultural conditioning,
- to transcend the trifling and to grapple with life's serious problems,
- to refresh consciousness by appreciating beauty and all good things,
- to feel joy and the worth of living. ( www.connect. net/georgen/maslow.htm)